A Day on the Green Fact Sheet
- The very first a day on the green was held on Australia Day, January 26 2001 at Morning Star Estate, Mt Eliza, Victoria with Australian artists James Morrison, Renée Geyer, Stephen Cummings, Rebecca Barnard and Shane O’Mara.
- We’ve come a long way since our first show in 2001. In 2018 we presented Robbie Williams at Mt Duneed Estate in Geelong with 20,000 fans securing tickets in less than a day. This was followed up the following season with two more sold-out blockbuster events with Florence + The Machine and Red Hot Chili Peppers – with the Chili Peppers becoming our fastest-selling show in a day on the green history, reaffirming its status as one of Australia’s premier outdoor concert events.
"Geelong was crazy – there were just so many people. I couldn't believe it, I was really moved by it. It was a really beautiful thing. There were people as far as I could see, it [Geelong] kind of had like a Woodstock feeling to it, it was outdoors and it was a really incredible show.”
Florence Welch, Florence + The Machine, triple j
- a day on the green is run by husband-and-wife team Michael and Anthea Newton from Roundhouse Entertainment, based in Melbourne. Promoter Michael Newton said: "Anthea and I started a day on the green as a way contemporary music could be enjoyed by music lovers in a new way, rather than having to go to smoky clubs or large arenas. The idea of enjoying good food and wine with your friends, while listening to some great music in spectacular environments just seemed like a great way to spend a day. We started with one show in Victoria in January 2001, then were encouraged by the response to do five the following summer, and then nine the summer after. It's been a slow and gradual build and I think that's been one of the keys to our success. We are proud of how far we’ve come and to consistently deliver premium outdoor concert experiences to the high standard a day on the green has become renowned for.”
- The settings for a day on the green’s world-class events are some of the most stunning wineries and outdoor venues in Australia. In January 2008, a day on the green successfully launched in New Zealand.
- The a day on the green experience encourages people to get away for the weekend, and as such, regional areas experience a huge injection of tourism funds into accommodation, restaurants, shops and facilities, providing a huge boost to local communities.
- The event has spawned six albums, three TV specials and a hugely popular merchandise range.
- With more than 3.5 million tickets sold to date and 470 shows behind us, a day on the green has firmly established itself as one of the most successful and respected outdoor concert events in Australia. The a day on the green experience of good food, fine wine and great music, with some of the biggest artists in the world performing at some of the most beautiful outdoor locations in Australia, remains unrivalled and we look forward to welcoming you to a day on the green somewhere around the country in the summer months.
- a day on the green continues to offer its loyal audiences an unmatched first-class event experience, something warmly acknowledged by patrons, artists and the media.
“A Day On The Green has become a much-loved staple of Australian music culture. When Mick and Anthea Newton created the event as ‘a Big Day Out for grown-ups’ in 2001 little did they know then that this would be one of the biggest live attractions in Australia almost 20 years later … A Day On The Green has delivered some of the biggest acts on the planet to Australian wineries over the years.”
“A Day On The Green continues to set the standard when it comes to outdoor concert events.”
“The cleanest and classiest festival you can attend.”
“Thanks must go once again to the organisers of A Day On The Green for a fantastic line-up of talent and hosting such a great event. Every year the shows just go up another notch and keep getting better. Can’t wait to see how magical the already sold out Elton John shows are in 2020!”
“The people who run A Day On The Green are music fans and do a brilliant job.”
Chris Cheney, The Living End
“I’d rather be here than just about anywhere else in the world.”
Chrissie Hynde, Pretenders – Bimbadgen, Hunter Valley
Australian and International artists who have performed for a day on the green include:
1927, Adalita, Alex Lahey, Alicia Keys, Alex Lloyd, Archie Roach, Ash Grunwald, Augie March, Baby Animals, Bachelor Girl, Ben Hazlewood, Bernard Fanning, Billy Idol, Billy Thorpe, Birtles Shorrock Goble, Blondie, Bob Evans, Bonnie Anderson, Boom Crash Opera, Boz Scaggs, British India, Bryan Adams, Bryan Ferry, Busby Marou, Cheap Trick, Choirboys, Chris Isaak, Chris Watts, Christine Anu, Clairy Browne, Clare Bowditch, Client Liaison, Cold Chisel, Crosby Stills & Nash, Crowded House, C.W. Stoneking, Cyndi Lauper, Dallas Frasca, Dami Im, Dan Kelly & The Alpha Males, Dan Sultan, Daryl Braithwaite, Daryl Hall & John Oates, David Campbell, Deborah Conway & Willy Zygier, DEVO, Diana Krall, Died Pretty, Diesel, Don Henley, Dragon, Elton John, Elvis Costello, Eurogliders, Fleetwood Mac, Florence + The Machine, Four Tops, GANGgajang, Garbage, George Benson, George Clinton + Parliament, Funkadelic, George Thorogood, Glenn Shorrock, Grace Knight, Guy Sebastian, Hatchie, Hoodoo Gurus, Human Nature, Hunters & Collectors, Husky, I’m Talking, Ian Moss, Icehouse, INXS, Jack River, Jackson Browne, Jake Shears, James Blunt, James Morrison, James Reyne, James Taylor, Jamie Cullum, Jebediah, Jenny Morris, Jewel, Jimmy Barnes, Joan Armatrading, Joan Osborne, Joe Camilleri, Joe Cocker, John Butler Trio, John Farnham, John Fogerty, John Legend, John Mellencamp, John Paul Young, Jon Stevens, Jordin Sparks, Josh Pyke, Karise Eden, Kasey Chambers, Kate Ceberano, Katie Noonan, KC and the Sunshine Band, Kira Puru, Kylie Minogue, Lanie Lane, Leo Sayer, Leonard Cohen, Lionel Richie, Lior, Lisa Mitchell, Little Red, Lowrider, Lucinda Williams, Machinations, Madeleine Peyroux, Mahalia Barnes, Marcia Hines, Mariah Carey, Mark Gable, Mark Seymour, Mark Wilkinson, Mark Sholtez, Marlon Williams, Martha Reeves And The Vandellas, Mary Wilson, Meat Loaf, Megan Washington, Melody Gardot, Melody Pool, Mental As Anything, Mia Dyson, Mick Thomas, Mi-Sex, Michael Paynter, Missy Higgins, Models, Mondo Rock, Monique Brumby, Montaigne, Moving Pictures, Natalie Imbruglia, Neil Young, Ngaiire, Nick Barker, Noiseworks, Norah Jones, Oh Mercy, Paul Kelly, Paul Simon, Pete Murray, Pierce Brothers, Pseudo Echo, Rebecca Barnard, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Renée Geyer, Richard Clapton, Richard Marx, Rob Thomas, Robbie Williams, Rod Stewart, Rodriguez, Ronan Keating, Rose Tattoo, Ross Wilson, Roxette, Roxy Music, Ryan Meeking & The Few, Russell Morris, Sade, Sarah Blasko, Sean Kelly, Shane O’Mara, Sheppard, Sheryl Crow, Simple Minds, Simply Red, Sister Sledge, Slowly Slowly, Something for Kate, Spiderbait, Steely Dan, Stella Donnelly, Stephen Cummings, Steve Kilbey, Steve Winwood, Sting, Stonefield, Swanee, Tash Sultana, Tate Sheridan, Tex Perkins, The Angels, The Audreys, The B52’s, The Badloves, The Bamboos, The Beach Boys, The Black Sorrows, The Church, The Clouds, The Cruel Sea, The Dead Daisies, The Fauves, The Lemonheads, The Living End, The Meanies, The Preatures, The Pretenders, The Proclaimers, The Temper Trap, The Temptations, The Ten Tenors, The Waifs, The Whitlams, The Wolfgramm Sisters, World Party, Thirsty Merc, Tim Finn, Tim Freedman, Tim Rogers, Tina Arena, Tom Jones, Train, Troy Cassar-Daley, Tumbleweed, Vanessa Amorosi, Veruca Salt, Vika & Linda Bull, Village People, Violent Femmes, Wa Wa Nee, Washington, Wendy Matthews, Xavier Rudd and You Am I.