A Day on the Green Fact Sheet
- a day on the green is run by husband and wife team Michael and Anthea Newton from Roundhouse Entertainment, based in Melbourne. Promoter Michael Newton said: "Anthea and I started a day on the green as a way contemporary music could be enjoyed by music lovers in a new way, rather than having to go to smoky clubs or large arenas. The idea of enjoying good food and wine with your friends, while listening to some great music in spectacular environments just seemed like a great way to spend a day. We started with one show in Victoria in January 2001, then were encouraged enough by the response to do five the following summer, and then nine the summer after. It's been a slow and gradual build and I think that's been one of the keys to our success."
- 3.2 million patrons have experienced a day on the green during the past 17 years with over 450 concerts. A celebrated milestone!
- This season's concerts feature great tours by both Australian and International artists, including shows by Robbie Williams, Elton John, Stevie Nicks, Pretenders, Bryan Adams, James Blunt, The Living End, Spiderbait, Veruca Salt, Human Nature and many more.
- a day on the green events are held in 18 wineries and outdoor venues in all states of Australia during the summer months. Many of these wineries have exclusive contracts ensuring the only events held are a day on the green concerts.
- In January 2008, a day on the green successfully launched in New Zealand. Our New Zealand wineries are Villa Maria Estate, Mangere (Auckland), Alana Estate, Martinborough (Wellington) and Mudhouse Estate, Waipara (Christchurch). a day on the green will continue to expand its program in coming years.
- The a day on the green experience encourages people to get away for the weekend, and as such, regional areas experience a huge injection of tourism funds into accommodation, restaurants, shops and facilities, providing a huge boost to local communities.
- The event has spawned six albums, three TV specials and a hugely popular merchandise range.
- International artists who have performed for a day on the green include Alicia Keyes, Billy Idol, Blondie, Boz Scaggs, Bryan Adams, Cheap Trick, Chris Isaak, Crosby, Crowded House, Cyndi Lauper, Daryl Hall & John Oates, DEVO, Diana Krall, Don Henley, Elton John, Elvis Costello, Fleetwood Mac, Garbage, George Benson, George Thorogood, Jackson Browne, James Blunt, James Taylor, Jamie Cullum, Jewel, Joan Armatrading, Joe Cocker, John Fogerty, John Legend, John Mellencamp, Jordin Sparks, KC and the Sunshine Band, Leonard Cohen, Lionel Richie, Lucinda Williams, Madeleine Peyroux, Mariah Carey, Marlon Williams, Meatloaf, Melody Gardot, Neil Young, Norah Jones, Paul Simon, Robbie Williams, Rob Thomas, Rod Stewart, Rodriguez, Ronan Keating, Roxette, Roxy Music, Sade, Sheryl Crowe, Simple Minds, Simply Red, Sister Sledge, Sting, Steely Dan, Steve Winwood, Stills & Nash, The B52’s, The Beach Boys, The Lemonheads, The Motown Show, The Pretenders, The Proclaimers, Tom Jones, Train, Village People, Veruca Salt and Violent Femmes.
- Australian artists who have performed for a day on the green include 1927, Adalita, Alex Lahey, Alex Lloyd, Archie Roach, Baby Animals, Ben Hazelwood, Bernard Fanning, Boom Crash Opera, British India, Busby Marou, Choirboys, Chris Watts, Clairy Browne, Clare Bowditch, Cold Chisel, Dami Im, Dan Sultan, Daryl Braithwaite, David Campbell, Diesel, Dragon, Eurogliders, Gang Gajang, Glenn Shorrock, Guy Sebastian, Hoodoo Gurus, Hunters & Collectors, Husky, Ian Moss, Icehouse, INXS, James Reyne, Jebediah, Jimmy Barnes, John Butler Trio, John Farnham, John Paul Young, Jon Stevens, Karise Eden, Kasey Chambers, Kate Ceberano, Katie Noonan, Kira Puru, Lanie Lane, Lisa Mitchell, Little Red, Lowrider, Machinations, Mahalia Barnes, Marcia Hines, Mark Gable of Choirboys, Mark Seymour, Mark Wilkinson, Megan Washington, Melody Pool, Mental As Anything, Mi-Sex, Michael Paynter, Missy Higgins, Models, Mondo Rock, Montaigne, Moving Pictures, Ngarie, Nick Barker, Noiseworks, Oh Mercy, Paul Kelly, Pete Murray, Pseudo Echo, Renee Geyer, Richard Clapton, Richard Clapton, Rose Tattoo, Ross Wilson, Russell Morris, Sarah Blasko, Sean Kelly, Sheppard, Something for Kate, Spiderbait, 'Swanee', Steve Kilbey, Stonefield, Tash Sultana, Tate Sheridan, Tex Perkins, The Angels, The Badloves, The Bamboos, The Black Sorrows, The Clouds, The Dead Daisies, The Fauves, The Living End, The Meanies, The Preatures, The Temper Trap, The Waifs, The Whitlams, The Wolfgramm Sisters, Thirsty Merc, Tim Finn, Tim Rogers, Tina Arena, Troy Cassar-Daley, Tumbleweed, Vanessa Amorosi, Vika & Linda Bull, Wa Wa Nee, Washington, Wendy Matthews, Xavier Rudd and You Am I.